Thursday, January 26, 2012

Compliments and Criticisms

Why do these things matter so much to me?  I can’t help but think about what other’s opinions are of me.  I try to act like I don’t care, that it doesn’t affect me- but in reality it does.  I read an interesting thought in my “Made to Crave” devotion today.

“Don’t let people’s compliments go to your head and don’t let their criticisms go to your heart.”

But I do allow that.  I do- but I don’t want to.  The passage of scripture that relates to this is Colossians 3:1-2.  Of course I love the message version-

“So if you're serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don't shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that's where the action is. See things from his perspective.”

Anybody have any real life application on how to do this??

I also liked this thought in the devotional-

“Be brave enough to accept negative feedback as a possible call to action but not as a definition of your identity.  And while you enjoy the positive feedback refuse to get bloated by it”

I try to be open to negative feedback- for areas I may need to work on.  I think I have a harder time with not getting bloated with the positive. The girls usually helps me with that though- when I’m on my high horse about what good girls they are, someone usually helps me out by attacking the other or working together to make a big mess Open-mouthed smile- just keeping it real!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Bethany!!! I was looking you up on Facebook and found this instead. It's me Celeste!! I haven't seen you in so long. Looks like things are going really well for you. If you can send me an email. My email address is CeeCeeTarner@gmail.com .. Hope to hear from you soon so we can catch up. Take Care, Celeste~