Thursday, June 7, 2012

Why adoption

Alot of people have asked me why we are adopting- why we wanted to adopt to begin with.  My response is that “we have always wanted to adopt- the plan was to have two biological kids and then adopt.”  While this is true there is so much more.  I can never seem to express it fully so I thought writing it out would be a good way to get it out.  Also this will be here for our kids to read as they get older, so here we go!

I have always wanted to adopt.  Even as a child I always thought adoption was really cool.  Although I didn’t have any adopted siblings my dad was a father figure to a lot of other kids.  My dad called my best friend growing up, his adopt-a-daughter.  She didn’t have a dad in her life so my dad took her under his wing.  She went with us on father-daughter camp-outs and church functions.  When I was about 9 years old our family took care of my cousin’s son for about a year.  We tried to adopt him but his mom didn’t want to give up rights.  We moved to NC and after all of us kids were out of the house my did started a relationship with a boy in our neighborhood and was a father figure to him.  He did father-son camp-outs with him and helped with his boy scout troop.  So although we didn’t legally adopt any siblings I was around the theme of adoption from a young age.

Tim wanted to adopt too!  Tim has also always been interested in adoption.  He didn’t have any experience with it but always thought it was cool and that he would like to look into it one day.  While we were dating we talked about adoption and were happy to find out about our mutual interest.  We knew we wanted to adopt one day.

We are called to adopt.  I believe God has specifically called Tim & I to adopt.  He placed it in our hearts a long time ago and has grown that desire over the years.  It is clear to both of us that it is His will for our life.  So after our two biological kids were born we began seriously talking about how we wanted to proceed with the adoption.  The rode was different than we expected- but the process of following God and relying on Him has been awesome!  Here we are about to meet the birth mom who has chosen us!  It is evident that He has brought us here.  We are trusting in His perfect plan and knowing that never once has He left us!

 

There are several verses in the Bible about adopting and about being called that have spoken to me over the past year.  They are-

James 1:27- Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

I know I can’t fix the world but if we adopt 1 child and make a difference in their life that is enough!

Psalms 68:6a- God sets the lonely in families

He is in control of who he puts in our family

Matthew 25:40- The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me”

Adoption is a way I can serve the least of these

Colossians 1:10- In light of all this, here's what I want you to do. While I'm locked up here, a prisoner for the Master, I want you to get out there and walk—better yet, run!—on the road God called you to travel.

This is the road God has called us to- it feels GREAT to run!

So there you have it- Why are we adopting?  We have always wanted to and God has called us to.  We are obeying and are so excited to be adding to our family the child God will place with us!!!

No comments: