Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Asking the Spirit to pray for you

What does that title mean??  I have heard of the Spirit interceding for us when we don’t have the words, but I never understood it.  I never tried it.  I never really thought about it.

I am doing the “Brave” study by Angela Thomas this summer and have enjoyed it.  Last week she talked about our weaknesses and how sometimes we don’t even know how to pray for ourselves.  She modeled several prayers-

“Lord, I am weak.  chips and salsa have a ridiculous control over me.  And now the Spirit is going to pray for me because I don’t know what to do.”

“Lord, I am attracted to bad people.  They hurt me and wound me.  And now the Spirit is going to pray for me because I don’t know what to do".”

“Lord, I hurt myself with drugs and sexual activity.  And now the Spirit is going to pray for me because I don’t know what to do.”

Those prayers really struck me.  I had never thought to ask the Spirit to pray for me- I thought that was more for like when you were so down and out that you had no words.  If you know me, you know I am rarely without words….. Smile

But yesterday I found myself- sad.  Just sad- not mad, or hurt or questioning, just sad.  At first I did my normal coping mechanisms.  I checked facebook, I texted a friend to see if they could go out that evening for cake, I checked facebook again.  Then I realized I needed to take it to God.  So I went and picked up my Brave book.  I did the day’s devotional- which coincidentally was about the Comforter.  God is so cool like that. 

I walked to our computer room, closed the door and laid down on the ground.  I prayed and cried and just told God how I was feeling.  Then I asked the Holy Spirit to pray for me.  I laid there and cried while the calmest, most comforting feeling came over me.  I was amazed.  How could praying those words make such a difference?  It is times like these that I stand in awe of how powerful our God is.

I am so thankful to have full access to God and to the Holy Spirit.  How different would my life be if I tapped into that everyday?? 

Just wanted to share with those who may read that my God is real, He is all powerful, He is present, He is Healer, He is Comforter. 

So how about you- have you ever asked the Spirit to pray for you?  I would love to hear about it! 

No comments: